All the cultural societies have been making great strides in their respective fields ever since their inception, earning great accolades across India under the convernorship of Dr. Sangeeta Kaul. The achievements of the different societies in the current academic year are as follows:
BANDWAGONS (Fashion Society)
Bandwagon is more than just strutting the ramp in heels. Its aim has been to enlighten people about the issues of gender disparity and has proved to be a perfect portal to put our fashion acumen to productive use. It is workingthe able guidance of Dr. Vandana Bhalla this year.
The students participated in several colleges across the country and won the following positions:
- Kamalemdu Acharya won th title of the Best Male at the Campus Vogue organiszed by SGSCC
- Bhabana Chakma won the title of Miss Vogue at Lal Bahadur Shastri Institute of Management
- Aarushi Mehta won the title of Best Female at LA Haute Couture at Dr. ADG Institute of Technology and Management
- Kamalendu Acharya won the title of Best Attire at Spark organized by Moti Lal Nehru college
- Bangwagons won the title of Best Props at Campus Vogue oragnized by SGSCC
- Aanchal Shukla won the First position at Diwali Fleek organized by Moti Lal Nehru college (M)
- Bhabana Chakma secured second position at Beyond Trends by Institute of Home Economics.
- Aarushi Mehta announced Winner at Mirakee Winter Fiesta organised by DCAC
- Kamalemdu Acharya secured second position at Promenade organized by Daulat Ram College
CRUNK (Western Dance Society)
Crunk was founded with the aim to encourage students to explore western art of dancing. Under the able guidance of its convener Prof.MeetaMathur, Crunk had following achievements in the year 2020-21:
- Crunk made its name to the top in 2020-2021 and stood as DU beat's top team.
- Despite the pandemic, the team kept practicing offline and put up several performances.
MOKSH (The Dramatics Society)
Moksh was set up in 2001. In these last two decades the drama society has emerged as a serious drama player in the university as its members dedicated themselves in excelling the ancient art of drama. It has been a journey of sheer hard work and dedication to the art. The society promotes articulation of thoughts and emotions freely without bothering about societal restrictions, living for the art and most significantly espousing the belief of 'All for one and one for all'- a family where you weren't born, but earned.
The team has experienced many prestigious and proud moments through the years of its existence. They fetched them numerous prizes under the leadership of Dr. Soni Rastogi. Some of the achievements for the session 2020-2021 are:
- Moksh performed our annual street production 2020-2021, based upon Illiteracy, with ROTARACT CLUB OF SRI AUROBINDO COLLEGE (M) under their event BETI 5.0
- Performed our annual stage production 2020-21 “Women Foregrounded” at BLACK BOX THEATRE FESTIVAL organized by JDMC and won the BEAUTIFUL THOUGHT AWARD for the same. One of the members won the Best Performer in it
- Stood second for Rangmanch-IMI for Plastic forever, BookShelf's Book festival for child labour and for Abhivyakti – LBSIM
- Our members separately participated in several online monologue/monoact competitions and won 32 prizes individually
- Tried making Vines this year and bagged the third position in Moodi Indigo organised by IIT Bombay
- Organized online monologue competition under Mehek'21, named “खेिैया”
NADANTA (The Indian Classical and Folk Dance Society)
The Indian Classical and Folk Dance Society of Sri Aurobindo College was established on 24 January 2020 under the convernership of Prof. Sangeeta Kaul. It practices various Indian folk dance forms. It members have keen proficiency in Sambhalpuri, the most famous dance form of Western Odisha. It depicts happiness. It is performed not for others but for one's own happiness. It performed the following activities:
- Soniya Tiwari Participated and received certificate from *Coreografia*, the official dance society of Manipal University, Jaipur - in collaboration with *Redbull* present *REV3L*
- Soniya Tiwari received Participation certificate from *Cosmos* Rotaract club of Sri Aurobindo college RID3011
- Akansha Yadav got Participation certificate at Mata Sundari College
- Shreeya Mahapatra participated in Ecstasy at Delhi Institute of Advanced Studies
SAGE (Debating Society)
The Debating Society is proud to have a bunch of excellent speakers who have time and again brought laurels for the society and the College. SAGE encourages its members to highlight issues of social and political importance through oratory. The purpose is to inculcate mature and serious outlook towards the world and produce students who can sharpen their analytical skills and contribute towards creating a reinvigorated discourse. Under the guidance of Prof. Aprajita Chauhan and coordinator –Dr. Poonam Jain- Sage participated in various events and secured the following prizes:
- Sage produced a national-level winner in the preliminary round of National Virtual Indian Parliament 2020
- Received First prize at national level essay writing competition organized by Delhi University Students Union and Study Words.
- Bagged the first prize in an online speech competition organized by, National Service Scheme, College of Vocational Studies.
- Won first prize in open forum sessions organized by Delhi Technological University.
- Society President Ruvaid Imtiyaz participated in the anthology "Siblings" by precise words and her poem was published in the book "Siblings".
- Sage Bagged second prize in Lipi- the debate competition organized by the Students Union of Maitreyi College.
- Secured First prize in an online debate competition organized by the NSS unit of Dr. Bhim Rao Ambedkar College.
- Sage won a total of 42 awards in the session of 2020-21.
- Vice president Ananya Banarjee deserves a special mention for winning a total of 20 prizes for the society followed by Pooja Kumari and Ayushi Jaiswal who bagged 8 and 4 awards respectively.
SALVATION (General Awareness Society)
The General Awareness Society always strives to stand against the evils of the society and its motto is to create awareness about relevant issues today. They as a group have been urging masses to ponder upon serious issues. To raise the society an inch closer to attain salvation, they have carried out various activities under the leadership of Prof. Sangeeta Kaul:
- Article writing competition was held on 15th February 2021on topics related to general awareness and mental health in English and Hindi. E-certificates were given to winners
- Quote writing competition was held on 25th March, 2021on topics related to awareness. E-certificates were given to winners
- Reel making competition was organized on general awareness topic on 25th March, 2021
- Quiz competition was organized on 14th April, 2021 on the life of Dr. B. R. Ambedkar. E-certificates were given to winners
- Annapurna, Recreating the recipe, was held on 9th June, 2021. Appreciation certificates for winners and participation certificate were given
- Open Mic Competition was held on Father's Day, 20th June, 2021
- Webinar on project Eklavya in collaboration with Think India Tribal Rights Forum was conducted on 5th July, 2021
- Soumya Sen won the 3rd prize in the photography competition conducted on the occasion of world environment day by NSS of SAC
- Mohit Som won the 1st prize in the open mic competition organized by Pehli Asha foundation held on 14/02/2021 on the topic of Phulwama Attack/Indian army
- Mohit Som won the 2nd prize in the open mic competition organized by team Bhagat Singh of Maharaja Agrasen college held on 23/03/2021 on the occasion of Shaheed Diwas
- Mohit Som won the 3rd prize in the open mic competition organised by the Green Brigade - the environment society of College of Vocational Studies held on 06/04/2021 in their annual fest "Vasudha 21"
- Mohit Som won the 1st prize in slam poetry competition organized by Pehli Asha foundation held on 21/03/2021 on the World Poetry Day
- Mohit Som was adjudged Best performer in the open mic and jingle making event held on 26/05/2021 by project "UKIYO" on the theme mental health
- Perform edat Kavya Gosthi of Ramlal Anand College held on International Women's Day
- Dilip Kumar won the third prize at Slam Poetry Competition organized by PEHLI ASHA FOUNDATION on 21/03/2021 on World Poetry Day
- Angel won the third prize at MENSTRUATION SPATAH- Monoact competition organized by RITVA SOCIETY of Dr. Bhim Rao Ambedkar College
TALEEM (Indian Music Society)
Taleem: The Indian Music Society of Sri Aurobindo College is meant for the growth and appreciation of Indian musical forms. Taleem is committed to exploring new possibilities and opportunities in Hindustani and Carnatic classical music, striving to merge it elegantly with Indian Traditional Folk, Sufi and Bollywood genres to create interest among the students and people in Indian classical music. The society has been consistently enlarging its boundaries. Some of Taleem’s major achievements for the academic year 2020-2021 under the convernership of Dr. Vipin Malhotra are:
- Conducted our first and foremost Online musical fest Musicana 2021.The event had three categories such as Swaragini, Vaadye Sangeetham, and Sur Sangam
- Shreya Dubey won the 2nd prize in solo singing at the Indian school of Business and Finance
- Shreya Dubey got the 1st runner up in solo singing at IIT Goa
- Shreya Dubey won a consolation prize at Dyal Singh College in solo singing
3Ps (Creative Arts Society)
3Ps is the creative arts society of Sri Aurobindo College. 3P's started back in 2016 with Photography, Painting, and Poster Making but has now become a family of 50 members from different fields like Sketching, Doodling, Rangoli, Craft, Filmmaking and Graphic Designing.The society is led by Dr. Pravita Kumar. Its notable achievements in 2020-21 are:
- Conducted its first ever online competitions under MEHAK 2021 between 26th March to 30th March 2021 and we received 100+ entries from 20+ colleges all over India
- Inaugurated our new website for organizing competitions. It was fully designed and developed by the members of 3P’s
- Started our YouTube channel in the month of February, which was appreciated and welcomed by a large audience
Mimansa, the society for moral education of students, was established with the motive to awaken ethical values among the students in order to strengthen their personalities in a rapidly changing world of ours. The society envisages that all the college students must inculcate the knowledge of philosophical, moral and cultural values and to give birth to a new refreshing consciousness in their minds. Under the able guidance of its convenor Dr. Veena Rani Malhotra, Mimansa organized several programs to shape moral being of the young souls. It organized following programs last year-
- An Essay writing competition on the theme of “Reviving Moral Education in School Curriculum” on the 151st anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
- Conducted a Webinar on Gandhi’s Ideology in Today’s World
- Conducted an Online Survey titled “Test Yourself How Moral You Are”
- Our volunteers won second and third position in essay writing competition organized by NSS unit and Dadhichi society respectively.
- A society member secured second position in slogan writing competition conducted by NSS unit of Keshav Mahavidyalaya
- A society member’s article also got published under the five best articles by NSS Shivaji
- Got first place in rare diseases poster making and logo designing competition conducted by Rac Sac
- Winners of R- catalyst organised by Rotaract Club 3141
NATIONAL CADET CORPS (NCC)
Under the able guidance of Dr. Rahul Dev this year, NCC conducted following events in 2020-21:
- Organized a webinar on “Leadership Skills” by Colonel SBS Yadav
- Conducted online “AATMA NIRBHAR BHARAT ABHIYAN” to the vision of self- reliant India
- Cadets participated in Fit India Yoga Campaign and spread awareness about Yoga’s benefits
- Organized a “Mission-20” campaign to help cadets continue their NCC training on regular basis
- Celebrated the Constitution Day on 26th November and various programs were conducted as part of the celebrations
- Organized Pollution Awareness Campaign by encouraging people to adopt eco- friendly habits of switching off their vehicles’ engines at red light
- The Rajpath camp was held prior to the Republic Day to promote cleanliness among people
- Five Cadets got the opportunity to participate in RDC Camp
- Seven Cadets were selected to be part of prestigious national, cultural NCC Camp “PM Rally”
- To encourage the spirit of sportsmanship a football match was played between our cadets and SBSC
- Our Cadets achieved 100 percent result in the B certificate exam, which was held on 7th March, 2021
- Under the supervision of CTO Mr. Rahul Dev, SAC NCC set up a COVID helpdesk “MISSION HAUSLA” and was able to help 100-120 needy people get oxygen cylinders, ICU beds, Oxygen concentrators, and Remdesivir
NATIONAL SERVICE SCHEME (NSS)
Under the able guidance of Dr. Meenakshi Chaudhary, The NSS unit of the college conducted following events in the year 2020-21:
- The NSS team organized the panoramic ‘Collection Drive’ from 11th January 2021 to 15th January 2021
- Organized speech and quiz competition among the underprivileged students of the slum area
- Organized the initiative of SOAP AND MASK DISTRIBUTION in the slum area of BEGUMPUR on 24th October 2020
- Visited historical monuments in Delhi and narrated the history, significance and heritage of the place with the help of short video clips
- An interactive workshop was conducted by Khushboo R. Hotchandani under the aegis of Mahatma Gandhi National Council of Rural Education, Ministry of Education, Government of India on the topic "Guidance on Psychosocial Skills to helpers during Pandemic"
- As part of Covid Warriors program, we provided information regarding oxygen, hospital beds, ICU beds, ventilator beds, ambulance, meals to Covid suffering families. We circulated relevant numbers of hospitals and verified medical leads regarding drug availability
- Many videos and digital posters were circulated by us through our social media pages to spread awareness about Covid treatment and precautions, vaccination procedure, oxymeter uses, do's and don'ts during quarantine, etc
- The Department of Physical Education in collaboration with NCC and NSS, Sri Aurobindo College, under the aegis of IQAC, is organised a 7 Day Workshop on “ROLE OF EXERCISE, YOGIC ASANAS AND PRANAYAM IN IMMUNITY BOOSTING AGAINST COVID-19” from 15th - 21st June, 2021
- Under Kilkari Project, we ran Stationary distribution Drive, organized art competition, Video presentation on NSS-Day and ran online classes of students
- On 12 June 2021, World Day against Child Labour organized an event (Vartalaap) in collaboration with NSS Unit of Keshav Mahavidyalaya and Vivekananda College
- In the November 2020, National Service Scheme, Sri Aurobindo College introduced a new project, WeHeal, a mental health initiative.
- A mental health festival was organised in the month of feburary with the theme of “Connect With Yourself”
PAAKHI (THE WOMEN EMPOWERMENT CELL)
Paakhi - The Women Empowerment Cell was established in February 2018 with a vision to promote the importance of women empowerment by focusing on the social, educational, economic and political development of Indian women and girls. It calls for their education and constitutional rights, elimination of discrimination against women, advancement of their capabilities and leadership skills, promoting their participation in decisions that affect their lives, amplifying their voice for peace and security at the national and global levels.
During this academic year, under the guidance of Dr. Vandna Bhalla as convener and Dr. Rashmi Mathur as co-convener, Paakhi organized several successful events such as:
- Paakhi organized a webinar on how to reduce Mensural pain through yoga and meditation in collaboration with The Art of Living
- Took an initiative to change the beauty standards of the society by organizing a competition on Instagram using “Reels” feature, on topic “What beauty means to you?". The participants had to make a short video illustrating what beauty means to them thus taking a step towards changing beauty standards
- Paakhi created its own hashtag #paanchkapaanch and encouraged people to tag 5 women who inspire them and ask them to tag another 5 people and thus creating a chain. The event was aimed at praising strong inspirational women, spreading positivity and to inspire others
- Paakhi collaborated with Pratisandhi, a youth run non-profit organization aimed at providing medically accurate and stigma free comprehensive sexual education. The webinar was aimed at proving students of all sexes, information on consent and communication
- Spread awareness about government sponsored schemes for a girl child on social media
- Started a Book Reading Club “Novel Bunch”
- Organized a doodle making competition. The theme of the competition was “Because you are a girl is never a reason for anything”
- Paakhi: The Women Empowerment Cell & Samvedna: The Gender Sensitization Forum of Sri Aurobindo College(M) in collaboration with Indian Society of Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology organized a webinar on "A Guide to Women's Health
- Organized its most awaited fest of the year VEERANGANA 2021
Amidst the gloom of Covid-19, over 350 students benefitted from the placement and internship drive in collaboration with the Central Placement Cell, University of Delhi and Internshala. During the year 2020-21, pre-placement presentations were made by companies, including Ernst & Young GDS, ICICI prudential life Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam Research Foundation, Youth Empowerment Foundation, International Model United Nations, United Nations Volunteer, World Youth Council, Snapdeal, Hamari Pahchan NGO, Hariyali etc. The process of our regular recruit, Ernst & Young GDS is ongoing.
PRITHVI - Society for Environment
Under the aegis of the Department of EVS, the PRITHVI society works under the convernership of our principal Prof. Vipin Aggarwal and it conducted the following events in the academic session 2020-21.
- Team Prithvi participated in the National Webinar on ‘Water Conservation: Challenges and Strategies’, on 7th September 2020, organized by the Department of Environmental Science, Sri Aurobindo College.
- Wildlife Week - On Wildlife week from 3rd – 8th October 2020, Prithvi, under the aegis of Department of Environmental Science, organized three competitions viz. wildlife journalism, debate and photography competition at an inter college level. The event was a success as many students participated and showcased their talents.
- On 15th October 2020, Department of Environmental Science, organised a one- day webinar on ‘Biodiversity Conservation: Innovation and Challenges’ which was attended by the volunteers of the Prithvi society.
- To encourage the creative skills of the people, it organized a Mandala Competition on 1st November where all the participants presented their artistic works.
- Prithvi, under the aegis of Department of Environmental Science, organized a Diwali Mela from 8th to 15th November, 2020, where the focus was to create awareness on celebration of Eco-friendly Diwali. It was followed by two competitions – ‘Best out of waste’ & ‘Photography Competition.’ An online awareness drive was also conducted by the volunteers of the society by encouraging the people to decorate their homes with newspapers, leaves and earthen lamps through different social media handles.
- Meme - making competition, with the aim of encouraging people to protect environment by using few fun elements was held on 9th December, 2020.
- On New Year, 1st January 2021, Team Prithvi held a plantation drive where all the members planted a sapling with a vision of growing and nurturing it.
- With an objective to create awareness on the fast-deteriorating wetlands and their conservation, the World Wetland Day, was observed on 2nd February, 2021. The volunteers helped to organize photography and debate competitions to mark the event at an inter college level where many participants participated to make the event a success.
SAMVEDNA (THE GENDER SENSITIZATION FORUM)
Gender Sensitization Forum (GSF) of Sri Aurobindo College was founded in 2016 through the initiative of University Grants Commission and has been named as“Samvedna”. The society pays attention towards fostering values of gender equality amongst the students to transcend traditional beliefs and preconceived notions of the society to achieve harmonious existence and development of all the genders. Under the convenership of Dr. Rashmi Mathur and Dr. Vandna Bhalla as co-convenor, the society successfully hosted a number of events in the academic session 2020-2021 to achieve equality of gender and eliminate gender problems existing in our society.
- The first social media post series was started on 18th January 2021. The post series that was entitled as ‘Reconciling with Roots’ entailed representation of mythological and folklore characters who were emblematic of the inclusivity of the existing society that we lived in. The series attempted in overthrowing the bestowed sense of homophobia and discrimination against the LGBTQ community
- Announced the launch of ‘Lagniappe’- the monthly newsletter cum journal on 31st January 2021. The newsletter currently has released the 3rd issue for the month of May
- A social media campaign entitled ‘Thought Bank: put your two cents in’ was organized on 3rd February in order to gain the perspectives of the youth on pressing topics like Childless by Choice. Another episode of the same social media campaign was organized on 13th April which had the topic - Marriage by choice or convention.
- Organized the second edition of our flagship event PRISM 2.0. This was an umbrella event under which we had a series of intriguing competitions. The flagship event encompassed 5 different types of competitions like Video Making Competition, Digital Art and Painting Competition, Photography Competition, Slogan Writing Competition and Quiz Competition
- Samvedna in collaboration with Paakhi- The Women Empowerment Cell of SAC-, and with Indian Society of Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology presented a webinar on " A Guide to Women's Health" on 4th March 2021
TADATMYA: B.A PROGRAM SOCIETY
- Successfully organized a Debate Competition on the topic “ Does social media make people less active?” On the 5th of March 2021 on ZOOM. Kumar Gautam (BA Programme 2nd year) bagged the 1st position and Diksha (BA Programme 2nd year) got the 2nd position.
- Organized Poster and Movie-Making Competitions